Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy New Year

As we begin 2008, I've decided to do something new to me...start a blog. I know it's the "fad" thing to do but that's not why I'm doing it. I'm starting one to get things in writing on the web that need to be published. Many Godly things are not being published, and I see a nation and world around us slowly and insidiously sliding down a slippery slope.

A little about me... I am a Christian and a member of Christ's church that was established on the day of Pentecost. I'm a full-time airline pilot for a major airline and have a wife and five children. I am a member of a small church of Christ located in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. As you will see in my future blogs, I believe that the New Testament is our source of authority in all that we do. We do not currently have a full-time evangelist at our congregation so I've been able to preach part-time. It's been edifying and uplifting.

The impetus for my blog was due to comments I posted on a local preacher's blog that were deleted because I disagreed with his subject. I will never delete a comment unless it is derogatory, demeaning, or vulgar. I believe that mature, straight-forward discussion is beneficial and constructive. I have always desired to have a radio show to teach Scripture but I will firstly attempt to use this blog to pass on my understanding of God's word.

That being said, I am just a man. No one should ever take a man's word on what is right. I recommend everyone to challenge my writings and use the Holy Word to prove what is right. I realize that there are an infinite degree of beliefs and opinions on what is right or wrong. I will attempt to limit my opinions and will use God's word to justify my beliefs.

As we begin a new year, if you are not attending a local congregation, I recommend you search out the truth and find a sound group. If you are member of a church and you question the things being done or "things just don't seem right," let's discuss these things. Go to the Bible if see if things are as they should be. The bottom line of God's word is summed up by Solomon:

Eccl 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

We have an obligation to follow God's word and to do so is to show our love for Him.

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

I look forward to our discussions this year.

No comments: